I had a T-shirt that Kimchimon likes the penguin print so much that I had decided to make a rattle toy based on the print. This post will take you through the steps to DIY your own penguin rattle toy and a busy board.
Here's the step-by-step on how to do it:
Materials you will need:
- Plastic from cornflakes packaging or crinkly paper
- Fabric of different texture ( I used felt, jeans, FBT shorts and my skirt)
- 2 big and cute cute plastic buttons to attach the wings to the body (not too small, so they won't eat ingest it)
- ribbons if different colours and textures for sensory
- cotton for filling
Tools that you will need:
- needle and thread for sewing or a sewing machine
- scissors
To start off, I ordered some cat bells and a teething toy on Shopee. I also went back to my mom's place to scour for some old clothes of mine for the body and ribbons to make the tags.
Firstly, I drew the penguin pattern onto a piece of A4 size paper. You can download the pattern and make your own too.
Then I cut out the pattern and pin them onto the fabrics. I also cut some cornflakes packaging (the plastic used to contain the cornflakes) to replace crinkly paper. Cut the fabrics according to the pattern (remember to place the cornflakes plastic in between the fabrics to create sound). Sew the face and features on the front of the body first. Then continue to sew the wings and feet. After which, its time to stuff your penguin (with the cotton and cat bell) ! Lastly, sew on the wings with the buttons and the feet. Remember to attach the teething toy, so your little one can have something safe to chew on. Did you make the penguin too? Or you made other toys for your little one? Share it in the comments below! I think the penguin came out rather decent.
No hat for the penguin though, as I was quite lazy. I think Kimchimon sort of like it? He played with it when we brought it out. He even grabbed onto him when he fell asleep.
Apart from this penguin, I also made a busy board for him. I got the inspirations from Pinterest as well; and started to get some of the items from Daiso, the hardware store downstairs and Shopee. Here's what it looks like:
1)Wooden letter from Daiso
2)Wooden board from Daiso painted with acrylic paint.
3) Plastic rattle ring from another toy
4) Door lock from Daiso
5) Metal handle from the hardware store
6) Stroller hook as I have extra
7) Bell from Shopee
8) Fidget spinner also from Shopee
9) Lid from wet wipes
10) Window handle from the hardware store
These items were glued onto the board and not screwed as the husband has concerns regarding the safety. We also supervised as he play. The busy board did keep him busy for quite some time; and subsequently destroyed it. Kimchimon can be quite a destroyer.
I hope I will be able to make more toys for Kimchimon.




Comments
Post a Comment