Skip to main content

Thyroiditis

Remember that I mentioned in my "juggling life" post that this stress had caused some medical condition? This post will be about my recovery from thyroiditis. 

It started from my 10 days of medical leave. From the minor cough to the fever that refuses to go away and neck pain. I went to the General Practitioner (GP) and got a referral letter to the specialist. I couldn't make a choice then so he referred me to the specialist from the nearest public hospital and also a private specialist. 

I tried to make an appointment to the public hospital, but the earliest appointment they gave was at the end of 2020. I couldn't wait that long! So I made an appointment to the private specialist at Farrer Park Hospital and secured one in the beginning of October 2020. 

I registered myself at the entrance of the hospital and subsequently at the clinic. I was then directed to do a blood test before seeing the doctor. We had a chat and agreed with the treatment regimen. The doctor prescribed Prednisolone for a month.

The blood test results came back the very next day and was emailed to me (the convenience of technology!). The levels of my thyroid hormones were in a mess! To confirm there were no tumors, the doctor also suggested I had my thyroid ultrasound done. The ultrasound results were good. No tumors, just a thyroid slightly enlarged.
 
After a month of medication, the blood test showed an improvement in the hormone levels. I continued with the medication and had this thyroiditis defeated by end of January 2021. It's  23 May 2023 today, and I haven't had that since.

The thyroiditis episode taught me to take soy milk moderately (I used to drink it everyday, and apparently might me one of the cause of thyroiditis too) and to get yourself a hospitalisation insurance (I had to fork out all of my medical bills on my own). Most importantly, to always take a step back when things get too stressed up. 

Did you fell sick due to stress too? Share it with us in the comments below and how did it go eventually? 

Kimchimon with my husband while I went for my last appointment.

Kimchimon terrorizing the dinosaur while I went for my last appointment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kimchimon and Achilles tendinitis

Kimchimon and Achilles tendinitis Last year, Kimchimon was complaining of having pain in both of his feet (heel to be exact) for quite a while and it got so bad that he cried whenever he took a step and refused to walk.  We first brought him to a TCM nearby as I was alone with Kimchimon with a lot of groceries when he refused to walk. I thought TCM might be a good idea as i don't want Kimchimon to take so much medication. The physician told me that Kimchimon might have flat foot like Dillon, which was why his feet were in pain. He mentioned that kids in his age won't usually experience that much pain and was quite puzzled with Kimchimon's extreme pain. He advised Kimchimon to rest his feet as much as possible, and probably soak his feet in warm water to help ease the pain. He also mentioned that wearing shoes with comfortable sole. He then proceeded to do some Tui Na on Kimchimon's feet. Kimchimon's feet did got a bit better during the weekend with rest, however, t...

Our New House - House Hunting

After Kimchimon turned 1, I felt that maybe it was time for us to find a home of our own. My mother-in-law's place was great, very convenient with supermarket and the train station just right at our doorstep but this tiny human needed a bigger and more toddler friendly place. This post will be about how we got our own home. Getting a house in Singapore is never easy nor is it cheap. We had some options available: 1) Build-To-Order Flats (which is not an option as it would take about 5 years to complete during the Covid period and i wanted to move out as soon as i can)  2) Sale of Balance Flat - these are flats which were leftover or the previous owner had a change of mind during the last launch (the ratio for Chinese is always 0!) 3) Resale flat (the only option for us since it is readily available) Before looking for a resale flat, I went to HDB's website to calculate the approximate cost of the house that we could afford and the type of subsidies we were eligible for (you can...

DIY Toys for Kimchimon

I had a T-shirt that Kimchimon likes the penguin print so much that I had decided to make a rattle toy based on the print. This post will take you through the steps to DIY your own penguin rattle toy and a busy board. Here's the step-by-step on how to do it: Materials you will need: - Plastic from cornflakes packaging or crinkly paper - Fabric of different texture ( I used felt, jeans, FBT shorts and my skirt) - 2 big and cute cute plastic buttons to attach the wings to the body (not too small, so they won't eat ingest it)  - ribbons if different colours and textures for sensory  - cotton for filling   Tools that you will need: - needle and thread for sewing or a sewing machine - scissors To start off, I ordered some cat bells and a teething toy on Shopee. I also went back to my mom's place to scour for some old clothes of mine for the body and ribbons to make the tags. Firstly, I drew the penguin pattern onto a piece of A4 size paper. You can download the patter...